Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Image essay # 4


Our last assignment was to invoke a sound or smell of a specific object or a group of objects. I picked this picture because when I first looked at this painting I saw a person with their eyes closed. Then as I looked deeper i realized that this painting was silent. I think this picture is silent because i think its very peaceful. Even tho there are very hard cuts in the picture that create a sense of tension, it is smooth at the same time. I would look at this picture and think of it being in a spa. This picture looks like someone who was getting a massage or a facial, and at the same time being very patient. When you are getting a massage you are peaceful and quiet and serene. This picture also plays with contour line. It does this because of how the picture is "cut up". By doing that the picture almost appears to be jumping out at you, which brings me to my next point. The dominance in this picture is not defined by dark or bold lines, but by the feeling that the face is going to come out of the picture frame. The use of positive and negative space in the picture are not very dominant but I think that because of the cracked lines in the picture gives a sense of positive and negative space. Overall, this picture was very much the same as our previous assignment, it invoked a sound, or lack of.

No comments: