Friday, February 9, 2007

Image essay # 3

Texture has been considered by painters as more of a three-dimensional characteristic than a two-dimensional one. Therefore, it was largely neglected in Western painting. The first artist to conquer both color and texture in a painting was Vincent van Gogh.
Texture is the surface quality of and object. Some textures are smooth and soft, such as a leather sofa. Others my me coarse and rough, such as a brick. Textures can be formed by using many different mediums. For example, if you took a piece of paper and some charcoal and rubbed the charcoal against concrete the texture would appear to be very rough. Again of you took the same piece of paper and the same piece of concrete but rubbed with a ball point pen, the texture would be very different. In this painting there are a variety of both color and texture. Some of theses shapes appear to be soft, such as the circular objects. This objects appear to be soft because of the way the shape is formed. The lines that make up the circles appear to be very smooth, especially the red spiral circles. The triangle texture in the lower right hand corner would appear to me as being raised and bumpy. The edges of the triangle are darer than the face of the object, forcing me to believe that one part is higher than the other. The object that interests me the most is the blue object on the left side of the drawing. To me this texture looks almost like diamond plating. When I think of this texture I think of my fathers truck. When I tough it, it is smooth in some places and rough in others. Also when I feel this texture I think of cold metal. Its amazing to be able to look at a certain texture and remember how it feels.

No comments: