Friday, April 27, 2007

Image Essay # 15



So far all of the pictures that I have made comments about have been either still lives or a painting or a portrait of something. I chose this picture because it was different from all the rest. This picture was obviously taken underwater. Most times people think that underwater scenes are very dark and have no character. This isn't the case in this picture. In this picture I noticed two different color schemes. The first one I noticed was on the fish, blue and yellow. Blue and yellow are not necessarily considered to be complimentary but many people mistake this. Blue's compliment is in fact orange. As I was looking at this piece and was trying to figure out why blue and yellow look so well together. Maybe it is because both colors are so chromatic, and seem very vibrant when placed next to each other? Or maybe its because it is how they are juxtaposed next to each other. I was then thinking if the fish had a different hue of blue next to the very vibrant chroma of yellow, if the fish would still be appealing to look at. Right now my eye is drawn to both of the very vibrant colors.

The next color scheme that i thought I thought I could pick out was analogous. The red, yellow, and orange in the choral are very muted tones. For instance the red choral looks as if it is a very deep purple, or almost a mauve color. The yellow is still very yellow but not as chromatic as the yellow in the fish. And as for the orange it seems to almost be a peach color. Again I liked reviewing this piece because I thought it was very interesting to see that we can find these colors under the sea.

No comments: