Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Image Essay # 10


This is a paining done by Lucian Freud. As I was looking through other pieces of his art work I noticed that he mostly paints people. Also, in most of his works the people that he paints are usually naked and are positioned in what would seem like an uncomfortable position. This painting are also painted uses very bland colors, such as brown and burnt oranges, giving the picture a feeling of disgust or something unpleasant to look at. When I came across this piece I was a little surprised. First of all the man in this picture is wearing clothing and was not positioned in an uncomfortable position. The second thing that caught my attention was the colors that were used in this painting. Freud uses varying shades and tints of blue, this gives the painting depth. Another feature in this painting that also grabbed my attention was that the face did not seem to be in pain. Although, in this painting the mans face looks depressed, he does not look like he is in pain. I also like this picture because the person seems to show affection towards the dog, also showing something different that his other works.
I picked this painting because when we were looking at his works in class I did not fully understand the concept of his paintings. As I looked through more and more painting on my own time I began to see a "trend" in his art work and this painting seemed to me that it went "against the grain".

No comments: